Sunday, March 16, 2014

The adventurous trek to Choquequiroa ruins sets a path for the rest of my journey in South America.



Stumbling blissfully into the hostel and vaguely filling out forms, I find my bed amongst the scattered belongings of fellow travellers. Whilst trying to keep silent I climb the creaking wobbly bunk, slither into the top bed and nestle myself into an inevitable coma after returning from the last adventurous journey to Machu Picchu. The next day I woke with eagerness and to prepare for the next trip to Choquequiroa, these were the first ruins discovered by Hiram Bingham before Machu Picchu. Whilst at breakfast I started up a conversation with two lads one from Israel and a fellow Australian, they also had done the Salkantay trek at the same time as I but by themselves and not in a tour. After chatting about a few things it came up, they too were planning to venture to Choquequiroa and since I had no hiking experience I asked if I could tag along, they agreed.




That night whilst sampling a few beverages, with only three or four circulating my bloodstream I slipped into an unconscious state at around 10.30pm I can remember up till then clear as day. By the time I regained consciousness it was morning, I was naked in another bed and in a random part of the hostel. I felt my throat crawl as the familiar feeling of vomiting was looming, Sprinting for a more respectable place to release this load like a bathroom I was going for but perhaps a little unrespectable running their still naked and dazed. That day I had come to realise that my drink had probably been spiked, also I had to buy all my food for the next four day trek which I ended up buying mainly candy and to top it all off I had lost my memory card with all the pictures from Machu Picchu.



I woke early, collecting my gear I left swiftly and agilely out of the room with the resonating murmuring sound of weary sleeping travellers. We shuffle towards the bus station, load our gear and jump aboard the old bus that has seen many kilometres of road in its lifetime. Arrivinga few hours later at an intersection, we disembark and hail a taxi whilst briefly consuming some breakfast consisting of a cloudy soup though quite delicious it did come with the bonus of a chicken foot or two. Reaching the start of the trail in a small town, we organise a couple of pack donkeys and a man to lead them. That afternoon we were off, starting with an easy trek in a balmy part of Peru. This small town was in the middle of nowhere but still had electricity, running water, 'western' toilets, a view of rolling hills and snow-capped mountains in the background. A bit different to the ruins we were going to see where these native people's ancestors might have been from.



The start of the trek reminded me of regional Australia with gumtree laden rocky dry grass hills that surround abundant crop filled valleys. First day was an easy stroll the next two were not going to be, consisting on descending from atop the hills at 3000m to 1500m at the bottom where raging water storms down collecting more debris and brown cloudiness as it travels. The path that guides our journey zig zags on itself numerous times to drop the height quickly once at the bottom we have a joyful climb back to the same altitude on the other side, in one day this was an intense workout on the calves but a sensational visual feast.


                                          (you can just see the zig zag path right of centre)

Making camp on day two early we decided that we would quickly walk to the ruins and explore around them for the later part of the afternoon before returning to camp as the sun sets on this glorious countryside. We make ground expeditiously so that we have a few hours to discover the ancient ruins that are still half engulfed by foliage and jungle. Humbly strolling amongst these lively ruins, acknowledging the strenuous effort that went into building these magnificent structures atop of these mountainous hillsides along with the aqua ducts that once delivered water smoothly and silently around the community from a distant well is astonishing.  Each stone brick carefully manicured into a perfect fit and calculated into the design back when tools and technology were minimal to say the least, these people were the great architects. As a misty cloud starting to blanket the valleys tops, the sun was beginning to power down and the air was becoming crisp. We set off back towards camp feeling refreshingly alive and eerily humbled as if the ghosts of the ancient past were congratulating us on our journey to see their spectacular village that once protected their families from any intruders and provided a home to a community.





After a deep peaceful sleep, we awoke to day three and prepared ourselves for the leg work out that lay ahead. Still with clear visual images of yesterday's experience we walk, quiet at first reminiscing of the fact the while we were discovering the ruins we were the only ones there. As it is quite hard to get there, the hordes of tourists that flock to Peru to gain an experience of the ancient world avoid it. Personally, I think it was better than Machu Picchu. On the way towards the town, it was agreed that I could keep travelling onwards with the other two boys as they were heading for exciting adventures that I wanted desperately needed to be a part of and release my soul into these activities.  Once again, in Cusco we rest before catching the next bus on our journey to Arequipa. 




No comments:

Post a Comment