Wednesday, March 12, 2014

CAUTION: Starts off peacefully but the ending may not be for the faint-hearted reader or guinea pig lover.


After an overnight double decked bus ride, which was filled with my nose bleeding and Hillary Duff movies, I arrived high in the clouds in majestic Cuzco. I journeyed here not for Machu Picchu or any awesome sightseeing but for a job, as I had been in the process of emailing the owner of a hostel there to which had organised to work at the bar in return for free accommodation, which is common practice as a poor backpacker. However, with my luck fluctuating as per usual the owner was not there and the bar manager had not heard of this arrangement. Therefore, I went for a walk clear my head of the thinness of the air, after struggling on a set of stairs in a monument and getting lost in the back streets of Cuzco I decided that I wanted to do a hike as I had all the camping gear needed for such ventures. Whilst conversing with a travel agent at the hostel I came to a plan that I was to walk the Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu on a tour but I were to leave the next day.

Standing in the street in the early hours with the air fresh and crisp, people jostle around on the brick laid paths heading to work or to gather the best position to sell their wares onto the next weary confused tourist that stumbles past. Half an hour late, early for them and on time for some they arrive and we were off to the start of the next venture. We reached the small town early and promptly started trekking, by that afternoon we were climbing higher and higher. Gasping for air with every step, sweat dripping from every pore and at the back of the pack perhaps I should have stayed a little longer in Cuzco to acclimatize before heading into the clouds. Eventually I reach camp and I'm wrecked, wet and starving with my stomach turning inside out for food then I realized that the guides couldn't work out how my tent goes together, 'arrrgh why did I bring it' I sighed to the amused guides whilst erecting it rapidly and carelessly.



Next day awake early, rough night sleep due to the lack of oxygen we power forwards. Today was a big push, today we head for the highest point on the trek at 4600m, which is in the shadow of its neighbour Salkantay that dwarfs it at 6264m. Towering monstrous mountains surround the valley to the top, covered in treacherous icy slop with the distant rumbling of small avalanches to keep harmony. Gruelling hours tick by, cocoa leaves are munched out of existence to try to get a small amount of relief to the ever deteriorating mind, body and soul. We make it.



After this achievement of reaching the top, we gathered our strengths for a group photo and lunch then it was a gentle brisk walk to camp which the last half being through jungle. The next day quite uneventful apart from the local mad taxi driver turning and weaving through the jungle perilously alongside the cliffs that are unseen from the windows of the minivan. That evening we had the delightful choice of eating guinea pig that we all agreed to unanimously but we also had the chance to kill our own before being cooked which I jumped at the chance to experience though it did not fare well for lone survivor that reached my pitiful hands. After being shown briefly the way of a master it was my go, standing there with a squealing fidgety furry rat amongst my mitts was not what I thought was going to happen when I had risen from my slumber that fresh morning.


The first go resulted in a high pitched 'rrrrreeeeeeee' and followed by disheartened pitiful awkward laughs from fellow people. The second attempt fetched a higher squeal that could pierce ear drums as my fingers gripped in tighter around the poor things throat. The third endeavour produced the clean snap like the crunch of twigs under foot and dinner was now ready to be prepared. That night I slept under a table, as I could not raise my tent on the concrete slab. The final day was concluded with a couple of taxi rides, a brief walk around a rocky avalanche and the finishing leg was a 9km stroll along the raging river that winds its way down through the valley's of jungles that would of once carried the Incan lifestyle. After temporarily passing under the Famous Machu Picchu ruins, we successfully arrived at Aguas Calientes.

Too be continued....



No comments:

Post a Comment